Extreme Weather Brings Down The G5RV


Wow that was what the YL and myself both said earlier today as we walked down on the Glen. The usual trickle of the stream had turned into a white water torrent, in fact it was rather frightening so we observed with caution. It is what we say here in Yorkshire as "sods law" as we are both on holiday and had intended a camping expedition with a bit of portable operation. So we both decided that a day indoors playing radio would be the best thing to do on this wet and windy wild day. On returning to the home QTH i saw my motor cycle looking wet and exposed as the waterproof cover had blown off and was at the other end of the garden. I inspected the Antennas they were all in good shape so it was time to try for some QSOs, it was just at that moment that my mast that supports the 20M dipole and home brew collinear was blowing about as if it were a mobile Antenna, nether the less it was holding up with the other verticals. Unfortunately my G5RV was getting a good battering from the trees and eventually gave up the fight at one of the flexible fixing points, so i was out in the wind and rain tidying up 102feet of hard drawn enameled copper. I shall be re fixing it back up as soon as this wind and rain settles down, it could be tomorrow so i guess 80M is out for now. Luckily I can operate on all bands 40M upwards so I am not too upset with the fallen G5RV it is mainly 40M and 80M where it gets used and I have my Maldol vertical which has just put a reasonable signal to PA1LS on 40M.
I hope you all have still got your Antennas undamaged by these extreme weather storms and hope to work your station soon. 73 Simon

Comments

Nash , JN4VWH said…
Hi Simon,
I saw the news of Extreme Weather of North England at TV in Japan. You are no problem? I hope.
MØYKS Simon said…
Hi Nash, My QTH is just 1000ft/305M above sea level so We are safe from flooding, its the wind i have to fear up here. : )

However if it continues I may have to build an ARK/Boat hi hi

Simon
Nash , JN4VWH said…
Thank you for the comment, Simon. Ok, I understood.(^-^)/ Nash

Popular posts from this blog

New DX Contact 0n 12 Meters

Homebrew 40/80 Trap Dipole Design

Full Size Delta Loop for 20M