"Bird" Watching

It's that time of the year where we find ourselves spending as much time as possible in our gardens or out walking enjoying and making the most of the much welcomed lighter nights.

As well as walking over the surrounding Moorland with our Dog Dudley this evening, I decided to root out my QRP Satellite set up. The portable set up comprises of my arrow antenna, FT-470, TH-F7, Ipaq and my old Compass.

I gave the Yaesu FT-470's batteries a quick charge and headed back out side just as it was getting dark (18.45 utc). I assembled both hand held transceivers to the home made ally rig mounts that are fitted to the boom extension.

Next, was to run the TrackSat software on the Ipaq palm held P.C which showed AO-51 approaching.
I checked the satellites position data and used it to set the arrow to 205 degrees azimuth and 10 degree elevation. It wasnt long before a hive of activity began to flow through the arrow into the FT-470. I called through AO-51 a couple of times using the TH-F7 for the up link transmission hearing myself on the down link via the FT-470. The little station works extremely well and despite the pile up I am sure I heard Fellow Hams and keen Satellite Ops LA4FPA Erling and Steve DL1YAL somewhere in there!
I should be busy outside in the fresh air operating over the weekend (WX permitting) as I participate in watching some "Birds" that might be putting a nice footprint over the QTH.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New DX Contact 0n 12 Meters

Full Size Delta Loop for 20M

Homebrew 40/80 Trap Dipole Design