OSCAR Satellites AO-51, VO-52 & HO-68


Since I settled for the 10 element 435MHz and IO 145MHz loop antenna (IO-10EL) I have been getting into the OSCAR Satellites with ease. I have been making lots of QSO's with the home built beam fixed at 30º elevation for the past year or so on FM and SSB.

Earlier this evening I made QSO's on AO-51, HO-68 and VO-52. On AO-51(FM) I worked ON5NY, on HO-68(SSB) I worked IZ7JXJ, DJ8DT and for the second time this evening ON5NY. On VO-52(SSB) I worked IZ5AVK and DK1IE, all were good signals and all Stations could hear me at 5/9. I was running approximately 35Watts from my Yaesu FT-847 and managed to still get in to HO-68 at a total distance of 2500 miles as the the Satellite headed over North America.

I am always amazed how well my homemade antenna performs and I still get the biggest buzz when the "birds" pass over, in fact my hard done by YL - Louise M3TLL thinks I have a problem and calls me a "Satellite Junkie".

Unfortunately for Louise, there doesn't seem to be a cure available on prescription yet!

Comments

Phaze58 said…
I am almost on my way to making the 10 ele IO . will be joining you shortly ( I hope) Issues here with Franca not feeling well and with her daughter moving house I just haven't had time or money to do anything.
Was nice to hear you the other night.
Hi,

Any idea where I can find some drawings so I can make my own 10 element yagi for satellites?

73

Matt de M6FNG
MØYKS Simon said…
Hi Matt, try these links:


http://www.g6lvb.com/HomebrewArrow.htm

http://eb4dka.laserenadigital.com/Amateur%20Satellite%20Articles/IOio%20antenna.pdf

http://hamradiooperator.blogspot.com/2009/02/home-brew-ioio-mk-6-step-by-step.html
Paul M0PCZ said…
Hi Simon, at least your YL has an M3 call and therefore has some understanding of our radio needs..

73 Paul.
MØYKS Simon said…
Hi Paul,

yes it sure is handy having a her operating skills especially when I need a hand putting up antennas or mobile logging.

We actually met just over 5 years ago at work when I set up a Ham Station at the College where we both work.

All the best from Yorkshire!

Popular posts from this blog

New DX Contact 0n 12 Meters

Full Size Delta Loop for 20M

Homebrew 40/80 Trap Dipole Design