Latest Home Brew Metal Work Project - Tripod Mount For Satellite Yagis

This week I continued with my latest radio project which was to be some kind of rotator mount that I could use to set up my latest Satellite array.

As mentioned in my last post, I am planning on fixing the new Satellite antenna high up on the house. However, before I can begin working on that installation I want to build everything up at ground level and give it all a good testing out, ironing out any problems there may be on the way.

With all this in mind I began to search through my scrap material pile that I have stashed away for a rainy day etc.
I soon came across some heavy duty pipe and found some screwed/threaded bar. Then with a bit of sawing, grinding and hammering, I began fabricating the scrap pipe and metal which I finished off by welding it all up into a fairly substantial tripod.

The finished tripod can easily be dismantled and folds up nice and neat allowing it to be transported without any hassle.

I finished the job by painting it black, I then fitted the Yaesu GS5500 rotator to the top of it. (as seen below in the two images).

Next, I was ready to install the two Satellite Yagi antennas.

I fitted the 435 X beam and the 145 Yagi with a short ally pole keeping the weight down to a minimum.

The video below shows the Satellite array up and running working well at ground level.


I have already made a couple of successful QSO via VO-52 as well as hearing AO-51 nice and loud last night. The new setup will be even better once I complete the full installation on the house.

Hope to hear you via the SATs soon!

Comments

PE4BAS, Bas said…
Hello Simon, that is a very nice tripod and antenna setup. Around 2000-2003 I worked a lot via UO14/AO27 and since I was not allowed HF then it was great fun. There is only one disadvantage and that is that sometimes you have to wait a long time till one of the sats is flying over. But if you really have that patience the contacts are rewarding. I think when the weather is a little better I'm going to give it a try as well. The idea of a tripod did not come up with me, for sats it's not really important to have the antennas very high. Except if they are very near to the horzizon. 73, Bas
test said…
Hi Simon, Very nice setup you made here ! I'm aiming to something like this too but I could'nt deal with the price of an elevation rotor so it will have to wait. Just a question, did you try to put the antennas vertically ? I did this with my home setup with a fixed 30° elevation 3 elements yagi VHF and 5 elements UHF and vertical works best than horizontal, strange but true, HI !
Keep up the good work, 73 de Tom F8COD
MØYKS Simon said…
Hi Bas, glad you like the tripod. It will be fantastic to work you sometime in the near future, I look forward to you setting up some equipment. As you know I am very active on HF in between the Satellite passes and looking after our new baby daughter. All the best Bas. Thanks for all your comments many 73.
MØYKS Simon said…
Hi Tom, thanks for the advice. I changed my Yagi to vertical polarisation and am now hitting the birds much more effectively. I have noticed a massive improvement and have made lots of good QSOs on AO-51, AO-7 and VO-52 since I changed it. Hope to catch you on one of the Satellites soon Tom.
Best 73 and many tnx.
Simon

Popular posts from this blog

New DX Contact 0n 12 Meters

Full Size Delta Loop for 20M

Homebrew 40/80 Trap Dipole Design