Strong Winds Take Out Carolina Windom


The wind has been battering the trees at the bottom of the garden for the last two days which is a pain in the rear as I use the nice tall trees to support the far end of my wire antenna, you can imagine the rest.
I had been watching my Carolina Windom wire slap about until eventually it fell to the ground. In between a rain shower I decided to brave the gusts and managed to get a next piece of rope up into the tree and wound the wire back up in the air.
It looked good, nice and straight with an extra 10 feet of height after a lucky throw that I pulled off earlier.
I ended the evening the way radio amateurs like best as I made a very nice QSO on 17 Meters into Tokyo Japan with Yoshi - JA1OJJ. JA1OJJ signal was a 5/8 solid copy on my Ft1000mp MKV, Yoshi give me a 5/6 report on the tree swaying Carolina Windom (CW-80).

When I awoke this morning the CW-80 was still in the air but not for long! The dreaded wind took it out again sometime today, as you can see in the picture above I wont be active on 17 Meters tonight.

Comments

Bert, PA1B said…
Hello Simon,
I use an Inverted Vee at home and a 20 mtr long wire on holiday. Yes, the wind can be a killer. In 2007 the branch of the pine tree "sawed" the supporting rope in a weekend (RDA 30 QSO's), while on holiday in CT. hi The next weekend I used the fence of the hotel, 5 mtrs high, and even made more QSO's in the YO DX contest (80 QSO's).
Wind can make you appriciate your antenna even more.
Tokyo on 17 mtrs is FB.
73, Bert

Popular posts from this blog

New DX Contact 0n 12 Meters

Homebrew 40/80 Trap Dipole Design

Full Size Delta Loop for 20M