Toyota Mobile Still Working Well On The 20M Band

My Monday morning work journey looked rather bleak for riding my motorcycle. It had been snowing over the night leaving icy patches and slippery surfaces which I prefer to avoid whilst travelling on two wheels.
So taking the easy option I proceeded to fire up the little Toyota 4 X 4 and at the same time I gave myself an opportunity to switch on my good old Yaesu FT-100 mobile radio.

Within a mile of  leaving my QTH I heard VK1GG/P2 calling CQ DX on 20 meters with a loud 5/8 signal.
 I gave Chris - VK1GG a couple of calls back and Chris heard me via the long path with a 5/4 signal. I was very pleased to make the QSO into VK2 land from my mobile at a distance of over 15000 miles.

I have worked many DX with the same FT-100 and Maldol HFC-20 mono band antenna throughout the years with excellent service and reliability not forgetting their superb performance. I first obtained this particular mobile set up back in 2004 and after today's DX performance into Canberra, Australia with Chris - VK1GG, I can say it is still doing a very nice job for me.

Comments

ranprew said…
Simon --
I'm pleased to see you're still punching holes in the ether with your FT-100 combo.
It's always to fun for me to see what you're up to these days. You're one of my heros. Take care ---
Randy K4LJA in Louisiana
Paul Stam PAØK said…
Hi Simon, you did a good job, the car is a great counterpoise for you antenna. congrats! 73 Paul
PE4BAS, Bas said…
Simon, congrats with the nice LP contact to VK. I see 2 antennas on the car. Which band is the other one for? 73, Bas
MØYKS Simon said…
Hi Randy Thanks for your support! Always pleased to hear from you. 73

Hi Paul, yes the ground plane works fab :) have a great Xmas. 73

Hi Bas, tnx very much. The second antenna is a dual bander 2m/70cm. I don't often go up on simplex VHF but like to have the choice just in case I fancy a change. 73

Popular posts from this blog

New DX Contact 0n 12 Meters

Homebrew 40/80 Trap Dipole Design

Full Size Delta Loop for 20M