Living It Up With The Cushcraft MA5B



Its been just over a month since I installed my new antenna and what a difference it has made. I have the Cushcraft MA5B mounted on a home brew tripod with a short mast and HYGAIN CD45II rotator. The antenna set up is not as high in the sky as I would have hoped for, but nether the less it is working really well. I have made lots of good QSOs across the Atlantic when the band has not been very good, I have noticed that the vertical and Carolina Windom are miles apart from the reception quality of the MA5B. I keep hearing big signals on the beam and when I switch to the other antennas I can barely copy the same signal. I suppose I should have expected this from my many previous experiments with beams and verticals on vhf where I have worked satellites on 5 watts with my arrow or IOIo antenna and struggled to achieve any contact with a vertical. With the new antenna working so well on bands that are not as good as they could be, I can't wait until the conditions are cooking!
The new beam is what I have needed to fully utilize my equipment for a while and I am made up with the results so far. I have manged to tick off a few new countries of my worked all DXCC list which I started doing again when I advanced to my Class A licence back in January 2015. I am up to 90 so far and have a long way to go!  Under my last call 2E0HTS I worked 122 DXCC over 10 years, so I guess 90 DXCC in 18 months is almost going for it h.i.
 My favorite recent new one was Sergio - HP1RN (Panama) who was a 5/9 solid copy both ways on the new Cushcraft and FT1000MP Mark V Field.

HP1RN antenna array can be seen pictured below courtesy of QRZ.com. 73 Happy DX!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New DX Contact 0n 12 Meters

Full Size Delta Loop for 20M

Homebrew 40/80 Trap Dipole Design